All images copyright. Do not use without permission.

Monday, November 12, 2012

Urban Wetlands


Black-fronted Dotterel, Walnut Ave
Most of my bird-watching is in urban areas, I just don't get time to get out and about to National Parks and the like. One of the greatest things about bird-watching though is that it is so accessible, birds can be so adaptable and dynamic that some of them can make the most of urban areas even when they are highly modified. 

The wetland at Walnut Ave doesn't even have a name and I must admit I was really skeptical about artificial wetlands to start with, but I've seen so many birds at them I can't deny that they do function as an eco-system to some extent, on top of managing storm water.

In the last few weeks I've seen Spotted Crake, Dusky Moorhen (with chicks), Purple Swamphen, Black-tailed Native-hen, Great Egret, White-faced Heron, Masked Lapwing (with chicks), Little Pied Cormorant, Nankeen Kestrel amongst other species at this young wetland. 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment